Vacanti Shattuck Attorneys

Domestic Violence

At Vacanti Shattuck, our Omaha family law firm, our lawyers protect clients involved in domestic violence proceedings, allowing them to get the help they need to move on. Every divorce, dissolution of a relationship, or child custody dispute involves pain and disappointment. It is not surprising, then, that domestic violence is often an issue. If abuse or an accusation of abuse is an issue in your family, secure the legal protection you need in order to move forward with confidence.

If you or your child is the victim of domestic violence

If you or your child is in danger from a relative or member of your household, we urge you to take measures immediately to prevent continued abuse. Contact our office. Our attorney will file for a protection order and help you find the resources you need to protect your child.

If you face accusations of abuse

If you have been served with a protection order, or are otherwise facing accusations of domestic violence, it is important to immediately file a request for hearing. A protection order can build a wall between you and your children, effectively giving sole custody to the child’s other parent. You will not be able to go into your own home or even have unsupervised visitation with your children. A conviction on a domestic violence charge will result in a permanent criminal record and may affect your ability to hold a job or rent an apartment. Our lawyers will help you prepare for the hearing and represent you in court.

Who can request a domestic violence protection order?

A domestic violence protection order can be issued against a present or former wife, husband, boyfriend or girlfriend; against the unmarried parent of your child; against a person living in your household or who lived with you in the past and against a relative.

What restrictions can a protection order include?

According to Nebraska law, a protection order can:

  • Order the named abuser to desist from restraining, threatening, assaulting, molesting, attacking, telephoning, contacting or otherwise communicating with the petitioner
  • Require the named party to stay away from the petitioner’s residence (regardless of ownership) and to stay away from a place of work or other place
  • Award the petitioner temporary custody of any minor children for up to 90 days.

If you are in the process of selecting an attorney to help you with a domestic violence issue or have another question about our practice, we invite you to e-mail us or call our office at (402) 235-6070. One of our lawyers will reply to your e-mail or take your call and, if you are interested, arrange an in-office consultation.

Vacanti Shattuck Attorneys

Call Today To Schedule A
Consultation With An Attorney
(402) 235-6070

Get Help Now